Tuesday 24 July 2012

Who's Sorry Now.....

A man well out of his depth
Those of you who have seen me on a bike can perhaps imagine the potential folly involved in my rather ill-conceived plan to ride from Lands End to John O'Groats next month.

I have always thought that going from one end of the country to the other has a simple, but rather noble appeal to it; a badge of cycling honour, a marker, something to bore the kids with when I get (even) older.

So one evening over a couple of beers (not, I grant you, the ideal basis for making important decisions) I gave public (and slightly slurred) voice  to my long-standing ambition. I mean, how hard could it be ?

Well, from Sunday 5th August I will find out. Over 13 days, along with my old mate Steve Morgan, I will attempt to ride 1,000 miles to the north-east tip of Scotland. And then, clock up a few more miles by going on to Kirkwall in Orkney.

(note the very deliberate use of the word attempt. More confident types wouldn't have even entertained the word because of all the associated, lack of back-bone, lilly-livered, hedging-your-bets uncertainty it implies....but given my current level of confidence, the word remains). 

I have been training (I use the phrase in the loosest possible sense) but frankly, I'm petrified. Petrified I won’t be able to finish (many don't). Petrified that I'll come to a pathetic, exhausted whimpering halt before I even leave Cornwall. Petrified about what two weeks on an unforgiving though highly-fashionable racing saddle can do to a man.

You can follow my inevitable travails in this blog.

In return, I promise to do my best to furnish you with photos, tales from the road, amusing anecdotes (particularly if they are at someone else’s expense) my general moans, musings and misdeeds...recommedned pub stops and for those of a medically curious disposition, detailed and self-pitying descriptions of the inevitable malfunctioning of the this middle aged body.

Enjoy the ride......(even if I don't)

3 comments:

  1. From one end-to-ender to a future end-to-ender - there, that's a vote of confidence. You will be fine, believe me. It is a truly exiting and enjoyable experience. The first three days can be hard work Mick: two types of roads in Cornwall, up or down! Start early on a good breakfast and travel light. I've heard of people that cut their toothbrush in half to save a few grammes.

    The reward is seeing the beautiful UK from a different perspective. If you haven't finalised your route, do consider going from Ardrossan to Isle of Arran and back to the mainland from Lochranza. Well worth it.

    I shall be following your progress with envy; I did it with Caroline in 2008 and we still often recall how enjoyable it was. I might even do it again with Greg and Laurence.

    Bon voyage and good cycling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete